Welcome to this week’s PUNCHLIST, where we round up the biggest news in nerd culture. It might be from the MCU, board gaming, D&D, and more. But whatever the news is this week, you can bet it will eventually separate you from your money.
7. D&D: Wizkids Releasing Premium Curse of Strahd Miniatures
Coinciding with the newly announced Curse of Strahd: Revamped collector’s edition of the gothic horror themed D&D 5e adventure are two sets of seven minis each featuring prominent denizens of Barovia. From Thorn and Rose, the two young children who usher you into the Death House at the beginning of the adventure, to Strahd himself, the pre-painted mini sets will retail for $39.99.
+ More here: Curse of Strahd Minis
6. AMC and Universal Agree to Shorter Theatrical Window for New Releases
Previously, a newly released movie would stay in theaters for 90 days before home viewing options were made available. The new deal between AMC and Universal Studios cuts that time down to as few as 17 days. Universal retains the option of keeping bigger titles in the theater for longer to increase revenues.
+ More here: AMC and Universal Theatrical Window Deal
5. Boom! Collects the Firefly Sequel Comics Into Single Volume
The 624 hardcover behemoth collects:
- Serenity: Those Left Behind #1-3
- Serenity: Better Days #1-3
- Serenity: The Shepherd’s Tale
- Serenity: Float Out #1
- Serenity: Leaves On The Wind #1-6
- Serenity: No Power In The ‘Verse #1-6
A few other “rare stories” round out the volume, which retails for $75.00 and is available for preorder.
+ More here: Firefly Legacy Deluxe Edition
4. Paizo Partners with Beadle & Grimm’s for Complete Character Chronicles
Launching on Kickstart this fall, the Complete Character Chronicle is a full sized journal designed to track and record everything about your Pathfinder PCs. Each journal is class specific, and includes all the rules for that class within its pages so it is a one-stop reference and tool. The Kickstarter launches with the Wizard, Fighter, Rogue, and Cleric, with other classes unlocked during the campaign.
+ More here: Pathfinder Complete Character Chronicles
3. Friday the 13th Slashes Its Way Onto the Tabletop Game Scene
The OP announced Friday the 13th: Horror at Camp Crystal Lake – the first ever officially licensed game based on the iconic slasher film franchise. The limited edition game is labelled as a press-your-luck survival game wherein you take on the role of a counselor as you try to survive five nights at the cursed summer camp. Its for 3-6 players, is not a co-op experience, and retails for $29.99. You can read the full rules here.
+ More here: Friday the 13th: Horror at Camp Crystal Lake
2. Play Starfinder on Your Amazon Alexa Device
Starfinder released an interactive pilot episode on Alexa last year, and now six more episodes are heading to the device. They sell for $2 a piece or $10 for the season pass, feature the voice talents of Nathan Fillion and Laura Bailey, and promise over a dozen hours of content.
+ More here: Starfinder on Alexa
1. Massive Twilight Imperium Expansion Incoming
Entitled Prophecy of Kings, the $99.95 expansion includes:
- Seven new factions
- Three unique leaders for each faction
- Forty new map tiles
- Mechs, a new ground unit with special abilities
- Components for two additional players, increasing the maximum player count to eight
- Exploration decks providing discoveries for the first player to take control of a planet
- Powerful relics that can be discovered by piecing together fragments discovered during exploration
- New objectives, action cards, and agenda cards
Catch the official unboxing video for the expansion, done during GenCon Online, here.
Check back next Wednesday for more news for nerds. Better yet, scroll down just a few more inches and sign up for our newsletter, The Cable.